Halloween: Godly or Satanic?
Image source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween
· Should Christians Participate?
· Is It an Innocent Holiday for Kids?
· Does It Promote Things of the World or Godliness?
This article doesn’t deal with the history of Halloween, but mostly with the biblical aspects. You should be able to answer these questions after reading God’s answer book, the Holy Bible.
Facts to Consider
· As believers, we’re to “avoid every kind of evil" Thessalonians 5:21-22). Wearing costumes as witches, monster, vampires, ghosts, ghouls, goblins, the devil, and demons all portray evil. Christians are to “have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness” (Ephesians 5:11).
· Should Christians compromise by accommodating itself to the world's customs? “Do not be conformed to this world” (Romans 12:2). “Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness" (Second Corinthians 6:14)?
When we celebrate Halloween with the powers of darkness symbols (Jack O’Lantern, witches, bats, owls, and black cats) in our homes, schools, businesses, and churches we glorify satanic powers. This sort of practices defiled the ancient nations: “‘Do not defile yourselves with any of these things; for by all these the nations are defiled, which I am casting out before you. For the land is defiled; therefore I visit the punishment of its iniquity upon it, and the land vomits out its inhabitants. You shall therefore keep My statutes and My judgments, and shall not commit any of these abominations, either any of your own nation or any stranger who dwells among you (for all these abominations the men of the land have done, who were before you, and thus the land is defiled), lest the land vomit you out also when you defile it, as it vomited out the nations that were before you. For whoever commits any of these abominations, the persons who commit them shall be cut off from among their people. ‘Therefore you shall keep My ordinance, so that you do not commit any of these abominable customs which were committed before you, and that you do not defile yourselves by them: I am the LORD your God’” (Lev. 18:24-30). The Israelites were warned against such practice, “When you come into the land which the LORD your God is giving you, you shall not learn to follow the abominations of those nations” (Deuteronomy 18:9).
- Halloween encourages false supernatural. It is seen on TV, in movies and video games. Here are a few examples: On TV we have the psychic hotline; in movies there is the Harry Potter movies and Empire Strikes Back with Dark Vader and Luke; and video games offer The Dark Side Chronicles and Transformers Dark Side of the Moon.
Newspapers offer horoscopes, astrology and numerology.
Curriculum in Public Schools often become a primer in occultism: An example is Duso the Dolphin; it employs relaxation techniques and sends hypnotized youngsters off on guided fantasies to a place called Aquatron. Many of the relaxation techniques used are identical to those used in hypnosis.
When you enter into the dark side of the supernatural, you are opening the door of the satanic. Saul may have experience this when he consulted a medium, En Dor, asking her to bring up Samuel (I Samuel 28). Consulting mediums is forbidden by God,
“ There shall not be found among you…one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. For all who do these things are an abomination to the LORD” (Deuteronomy 18: 10-12).