WHICH CHURCH TO ATTEND?
Who & Where Is the True Church of God?
Jehovah Witnesses? Mormonism? Etc
Where can you find a church where you can study and grow in the knowledge of God's Word (II Peter 3:18), worship God with other believers (Philippians 3:3), and have Christian fellowship (Colossians 3:16)? In this 20th century there are many different Christian churches with teachings and doctrines - sometimes contradicting one another.
- You Must Believe & Teach FUNDAMENTAL CHRISTIANS DOCTRINE
1. Bible is the inerrant Word of God, inspired by the Holy Spirit (Psalms 12:6-7; 138:2; II Timothy 3:16; First Cor. 2:12-13).
Mormonism: "Wallace Bennett has said, 'We recognize the Bible's limitations as well as Its value. We do not ascribe final authority to any of its statements... we do not accept the idea that with the adoption of the present contents of the Bible the whole canon of scriptures was closed for all time.'" Source: Wallace Bennett, Why I Am a Mormon (New York: Thomas Nelson and Sons, 1958) p 159, cited by Harold J. Berry, The Truth Twisters, p 105
2. Deity of Christ (John 1:1, 14; 5:58; First John 5:20; Ephesians 3:9).
3. Virgin birth of Jesus Christ (Isaiah 7:14 fulfilled in Matthew 1:23).
Mormonism: "He [Christ] was not begotten by the Holy Ghost ... Jesus, our elder brother, was begotten in the flesh by the same character that was in the garden of Eden, who is our Father [Adam] in Heaven." Source: Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, Vol.1, pp 50-51, cited by Walter Martin, The Kingdom of Cults, pp.212-213
4. Historic creation of man (Genesis 2:7). Mankind did not evolve through evolution.
5. Deprivation of man - separated from God by birth because of sin (Romans 5:12). The solution: be born-again.
6. Substitutionary death of Jesus Christ who was made sin for us and knew no sin (Second Corinthians 5:21; Colossians 1:14).
7. Bodily resurrection of Christ from the grave (First Corinthians 15:3-4).
8. Literal return of Christ to the earth (Zechariah 14:1, 4; Matthew 24:29-42).
9. Resurrection to eternal life: heaven or hell (John 3:36).
10. Trinity: God the Farther, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. They are One (Matthew 28:19; John 14:16-17, 26; First John 5:7).
11. One-Way to Heaven and that is through Jesus Christ the Messiah (Philippians 3:20; Ephesians 1:3; 2:6; Colossians 3:1-2, 3; John 10:9; 14:6).
12. Salvation is by grace through faith not by works; it is the gift of God (Ephesians 2:8-9).
Mormonism: Faith plus works is required: "We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws & ordinances of the Gospel." Source: Article 3 of “The Articles of Faith of the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter-day Saints”, Pearl of Great Price, p 60, cited by Harold J. Berry, The Truth Twisters, (Lincoln, NE: Back to the Bible Publishers, 1992)
Salvation isn't conditional!
Has anyone said to you, "You are saved by grace," and then adds, "If you 'aren't baptize', 'don't speak in tongues' you aren't saved?; to be saved you must be a member of their church - they are the only true church of God - church of Christ." You are required to keep the Sabbath, pay tithes, keep the Old Testament holy days - adding works or conditions to maintain your salvation makes salvation conditional. Works don't determine whether you are saved. But works are done as an act of obedience to demonstrate your faith in Christ (Ephesians 2:10). Works also determine your heavenly rewards: "...will receive his rewards according to his own labor" (First Corinthians 3:8). The Greek word MISTHOS, translated 'reward' means 'wages.' is payment for works or services. This looks back to the parable of the laborers (Matthews 20:1-16) and to the parable of the talents (Matthew 25:14-30). The only condition to salvation is accepting by faith that Jesus Christ is Lord and that He died for your sins (Romans 10:9,13; First Corinthians 15:3-4). Stay away from churches that add "works" to maintaining your salvation.
You should never attend any church fellowship that does not believe and teach these fundamental doctrines.
- You Should Look For A Church That Looks Like Ephesians 5
A Body with Christ as the Head with all its members being held to the highest standards of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, not regarding race, gender, or economic statue.
He must be able to exhort in sound doctrine and to refute those who preach for self-benefit and contradicts: "7 For a bishop[a] must be blameless, as a steward of God, not self-willed, not quick-tempered, not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money, 8 but hospitable, a lover of what is good, sober-minded, just, holy, self-controlled, 9 holding fast the faithful word as he has been taught, that he may be able, by sound doctrine, both to exhort and convict those who contradict" (Titus 1:7-9).
One of the largest problems that exist in traditional churches today is married men claiming to be ministers of God having affairs (committing adultery), and having sex with boys. Ministers need to have a check list on how to keep this from happening to them; they need to be more conscious of walking in the spirit, and not in the works of the flesh (Galatians 5:19-21). Those who practice (make it a daily habit) walking in the flesh will not inherit the Kingdom of God, but will be doomed to hell (Revelation 21:8). In God’s sight there is neither male nor female, Jew or Greek, neither slave nor free (Gal. 3:28). In God’s church there isn’t any diversity of races: black, white, yellow, or red. Scripture says to show partiality in love is a sin (James 2:9,10). [Partiality: “James alludes to Lev. 19:15, which prohibits favoritism to either the poor or the rich”. (Source: Nelson’s New King James Version’ commentary, 1982)].
What are God’s standards for its members you should be looking for in the Body of Christ? Members in the body of Christ should walk in the Spirit – producing the fruit of the Spirit in their daily walk. Reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin; do not let sin reign in your mortal body; present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead; for sin shall not have dominion over you (Romans 6:11-14). “Present you bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service” (Romans 12:1).
- WALKING IN THE FRUIT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
God says, "Present your bodies a living sacrifice; holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service" (Romans 12:1). We must live a holy life style (living together as man and wife or having sexual intercourse without being married to each other is fornication).
These seven are an abomination to God: (1) "A proud look, (2A) lying tongue, (3) Hands that shed innocent blood, (4A) heart that devises wicked plans, (5) Feet that are swift in running to evil, (6) false witness who speaks lies, (7A) and one who sows discard among brethren" (Proverbs 6:17-19).
What's the penalty for living an unholy/non-transformed life?: "He who overcomes shall inherit all things...But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death" (Revelation 21:8).
- DO THEY PRACTICE LOVE?
- WHAT DO I DO AFTER BECOMING A
You should also find a church or fellowship which has a good teaching program. It will be a place where you can grow in the knowledge of the Lord (II Peter 3:18), which obeys II Timothy 2:15 KJV: "Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman need not to be ashamed...". God wants you to learn to be dependence on Him, not any church or man.
- WHERE DO YOU FIND GOD'S CHURCH?
THE JEHOVAH WITNESSES say they are: "We do not hesitate to say that they are Jehovah’s Witnesses.” Source: "You Can Live Forever in Paradise on Earth, N.Y.: Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, 1982, p. 190"
"Brigham Young, wrote, 'The church we represent [the Mormons] is the church and kingdom of God and we possess the only faith by which the children of men can be brought back into the presence of the Father.' " Source: "Pearl of Great Price, cited by Alex Wilson & Christine Tetley, Witnessing to the Cults" p 7.1-7.2
It's not a building made with bricks and mortar. It's a collection of individuals, two or more, gathered together singing, praising, worshiping and studying the Word of God.
WHAT GOD’S CHURCH SHOULD LOOK LIKE?
- The main ingredient should be love based on Ephesian 5
- Image Christ
- Use gifts to serve the Body (the church) and save the lost
- Not legalistic
2. Pay tithes
- A place where holiness is preached and adultery, fornication, drunkenness are not accepted - live a transformed life: inward and outward, demonstrated by God's Fruit of the Spirit
Thinks To Ponder
- If you are looking for a fellowship or a church to gather with that agree with you on every doctrinal issue 100%, you will not find it. All of us, that include you, haven't been given complete understanding and knowledge from God. All churches whether they are non-denominations, denominations or any other Christian group teach some doctrinal error because we are all still growing toward perfect knowledge; fundamentals of the gospel and "love" should be the basis of true fellowship.
- If you are joining a church to part of their fellowship and all doctrinal beliefs have been established, don't try to change their doctrines. Groups have been destroyed this way. Seek God whether you can agree with their doctrines before you join.
- It's a personal relationship with Father God through Jesus Christ which He really desire. Place this as your number goal after becoming a Christian.
GOD DOESN'T JUST HAVE ONE DENOMINATION AS HIS TRUE CHURCH - I personal spent 20 years in church which taught this. Run from churches which present and teach they are the true church of God - the church of Christ and say you can only be saved if you are part of their church. THE TRUE CHURCH OF GOD TEACHES AND BELIEVES IN THE "FUNDAMENTAL DOCTRINES OF CHRISTIANITY". SALVATION IS BASED UPON FAITH IN THE FINISHED WORK OF JESUS CHRIST, NOT ON "WORKS." Christ church (the body) isn't a church building but all those who have accept Christ as their personal Savior all over the world - not just church members who are listed on the church roll - but those who lives a transformed life and are overcoming human nature.